Election 2013, Volume 2, Issue 7: Let's Try a Mayoral Flow Chart
Just as a quick refresher (for me -- I want to be able to look at this while I'm writing this), here are the eight major candidates:
1. Dan Cohen (stadium-hating casino-promoter)
2. Betsy Hodges (progressive DFLer)
3. Mark Andrew (corporate DFLer and greenwashing marketing stooge)
4. Don Samuels (passionate and slightly odd Northside Council Rep)
5. Cam Winton (socially liberal Republican)
6. Stephanie Woodruff (Independence-party endorsed fiscal conservative businesswoman)
7. Jackie Cherryhomes (former Sayles-Belton crony, will never live down Block E)
8. Bob Fine (Park Board guy, hardly anyone knows he's running)
So let's say that this is you:
I am totally infuriated about the stupid Vikings stadium deal. I want a mayor who will cancel the deal or at the very LEAST I want a mayor who didn't vote for it or support it in any way.
Anti-Stadium candidates include Dan Cohen, Betsy Hodges, Stephanie Woodruff, and Cam Winton. Dan Cohen wants to actually trash the deal, so if you hate it THAT MUCH, maybe do (1) Dan Cohen, (2) Betsy Hodges, (3) either Stephanie or Cam, depending on how you feel about Republicans.
Got the idea? OK. Let's see what other scenarios I can come up with.
I'm your basic Minneapolis progressive. Tell me who the DFL ought to have endorsed so I can vote for that person.
1. Betsy Hodges. 2. Don Samuels. 3. Mark Andrew. (I still think I personally would pick Cam Winton over Mark Andrew, but I'm not going to claim that the DFL would have gone for Cam over Mark.)
I'm a Green Socialist Lefty. FIGHT THE MAN. Who should I vote for?
Well, you might want to avail yourself of the minor candidates list, but let me warn you that the people listing themselves as Greens are flaky and disorganized at best (there is an endorsement process for the Green Party! neither bothered to take advantage of it) and the Socialist is of the "Cuba is a worker's paradise" variety of socialist rather than a "health care, $20/hour jobs, and pet unicorns for all!" variety of socialist. So I would suggest that you vote (1) Jayme Kelly (Stop Foreclosures Now) -- she's the woman who's on the brink of losing her house; hilariously, running for mayor actually succeeded in bringing a bunch of attention to her plight; (2) Troy Benjegerdes, the solar-panel-building Bitcoin supporter, and then (3) Betsy Hodges, because you should pick one of the serious contenders for your third pick and you're not seriously thinking you'd vote for Mark Andrew, are you?
I'm a Republican/I'm not actually a Republican because there are too many assholes in the party, but I'm a fiscally-conservative Independent, and I want someone who won't spend money on stuff I think is stupid. Also, I think almost all the stuff government spends money on other than snow plowing and pothole filling is stupid.
This one's easy. 1. Cam Winton; 2. Stephanie Woodruff; 3. Bob Fine.
I'm a Libertarian.
I'm going to send you to the "minor candidates" list because Christopher Zimmerman's Facebook page is totally awesome. 1. Christopher Robin Zimmerman. 2. Stephanie Woodruff. 3. Cam Winton.
I want a woman to be mayor.
1. Betsy Hodges. 2. Stephanie Woodruff. 3. SUCK IT UP AND VOTE FOR A DUDE, YOU DO NOT WANT JACKIE CHERRYHOMES.
I LOVE the Vikings deal and want to REWARD the supporters of it. GO VIKES.
Sure. 1. Don Samuels. 2. Mark Andrew. 3. Jackie Cherryhomes. (Mark and Jackie say that they would have supported the stadium deal if they'd been on the Council; Don Samuels voted for it.)
If I failed to cover your personal concern, you could chime in in the comments section and I'll see what I can do!
Election 2013 Index of Posts